I gotta little list
I love making lists. Even more, I love checking off items from the lists I make. Often I do something that is not on my list, and I add it to the list just for the joy of checking it off. Oh yes, I know some of you do this too. I have also been known to make lists of my lists. That may be taking it too far.
Here is a list of the reasons I love making lists.
1. Making a list quiets the omg moments that keep me awake at 2 am.
2. Making a list is a low-bar entry to actually doing whatever needs to be done. Sure, no sweat, I can make a list! It is way less scary (not to mention time-consuming) than starting the project itself.
3. Lists break down huge tasks (writing a book, getting rid of a President) into manageable action items.
4. Lists simplify life. Whaaat? All I have to do is these 5/ 10 things!
5. Lists help me think things through. They demand logic.
6. Lists clear my brain. I no longer have to try to remember all this. I wrote it all down!
7. Lists are finite. It may not seem like it, but my tasks are not endless!
8. Lists keep me from procrastinating. Uh, Friday…and two more things on the list? Better get to them.
9. Crossing something off a list = instant gratification.
10. If you save your lists (um, yes, I do), they provide an historical record of your life. A power point diary.
I also love to READ lists: The 500 greatest albums of all time. The 100 books everyone should read. Twenty places to visit before you die. Top 10 most popular lists on listserv. When the “25 random things about me” crazy hit Facebook, I read everyone’s list. Most favorite part of the old Letterman Show…can you guess?